Queen Sleeves

Warning:  This post contains graphic images of Sweater Cutting.  Steek-Squeamish Knitters are advised to proceed with caution.

My "Swatch" for the Queen Bee cardigan is done. It grew up into two super-cute sleeves, just as I hoped it would:

Conjoined Sleeves, with steeks between

Separating the Twins

Independent Entities

Dead. Sexy. Sleeve.

That's all there is to it.  I'll sew the underarm seams from the right side, with matching yarn and mattress stitch.  This will allow me to match the pattern perfectly at the seam {insert OCD remark here}.  Then I'll cover the "seam allowance" on the inside with bias tape or ribbon.  And the best part of all?  Not weaving in A SINGLE YARN TAIL.  That's right.  They'll all be secured by the steek, neatly trimmed, and hidden on the WS by the seam binding.  Which means that I could have changed colors in this sleeve on every single row, and never had to weave any ends in.  Sassy Much?

Say it with me now:  Stranded Colorwork Is Not Hard!

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 1/11/2012 9:34 AM Ginny wrote:
    BRAVA BRAVA!!!! Makes me itch to pick up color work (after too many hats ans scarves for Christmas knitting).
  • 1/11/2012 10:07 AM Frances Tornese wrote:
    They are beautiful!!! I can't wait for the pattern to be available.
  • 1/11/2012 10:34 AM LauraSue wrote:
    So, what kind of anaesthetic do you give those twins before you do the surgery? I'd hate to go all Civil War on them.
  • 1/11/2012 11:06 AM Stephannie wrote:
    I adore this! love the bees.
  • 1/11/2012 11:16 AM Bea Whitson wrote:
    At first I didn't see the two rows of machine stitching on each side of the center. I was wondering how you were cutting so close with no unraveling. Question: what about knitting a wider space between each sleeve, making your cut, sewing the seam, and then sewing down the cut edge on the inside of the sleeve? Would you have to double fold the raw edge to prevent raveling and would that make it too thick or bulky?
    1. 1/11/2012 11:45 AM Mary wrote:
      Yes, you could do that.  I've tried a number of experiments with self-covering steek edges, but as you suspect, they have all been too bulky for my taste.  That's why I use fabric coverings - the thinner and stretchier, the better.  My favorite covering so far is lightweight polarfleece.  It stretches, and there is no need to turn under the edges (less bulk).  But it's hard to find in the right colors. - M
  • 1/11/2012 11:35 AM Cheryl Waters wrote:
    Oh, so lovely! Steek away!
  • 1/11/2012 12:27 PM Alane wrote:
    Wow. This is all new to me. How do you attach the bias tape?
    1. 1/11/2012 1:09 PM Mary wrote:
      It's sewn on, invisibly from the WS.  M
      1. 1/12/2012 12:32 PM Wendyrose wrote:
        I like the idea of the bias tape for a nice neat seam. Any chance we could see the inside of one of the sleeves when their finished?
  • 1/11/2012 1:31 PM MaryB wrote:
    Sorry, but if you want us to truly believe all that claptrap about no ends to weave in and all secured and neatly trimmed, you really should take a picture of the "wrong side," unless, you've got something to hide? Hmmm????
    1. 1/11/2012 5:11 PM Mary wrote:
      At this stage, there's nothing to see (or hide) on the WS.  I'll show it to you in the next step, after the underarm seams are closed.  M
  • 1/11/2012 2:18 PM Teddy wrote:
    Hi Friend,
    Stunning, as usual. My question is about the hemmed cuff. I'm assuming it's something like knit 5 rows purl 1 row knit 5 rows and then turn and knit them together, but do you use a smaller needle size for the green before starting the colorwork? My edging on your pansy scarf I made is all wonky and I wonder if I should have gone down a needle size for it and then back up for the color work? By the way, LOVE YOU!!!!!!! Wish I could take your Madrona class but not to be this year.
    1. 1/11/2012 5:14 PM Mary wrote:
      You guessed it!  It's actually Knit 7 rows in st st, work a row of p2tog, YO, then work 7 more rows st st.  Then the hems are knit together with the cast-on row to make a hem.  I do like to do the first st st rows (the hem facing) with one size smaller needle, then change to the main size on the picot row.  I'll miss seeing you at Madrona!  M
  • 1/11/2012 4:59 PM Jane wrote:
    Could you explain what the mattress stitch is?
  • 1/12/2012 10:46 AM Peggy Stuart wrote:
    I love this technique. I used it on my Bees' Knees for DGD2. It's the baby version of this sweater. I currently working on a sweater where the sleeves are knit individually in the round, and I'm wishing I had done them this way. Guess I'm a little OCD, too!
  • 1/12/2012 4:14 PM Carla wrote:
    Woot! Cle-ver! Very clever, in fact. In fact, I am very impressed. Very!
  • 1/13/2012 12:45 PM Lisa Greiner wrote:
    Imagine that - a picot edge.